Thursday, April 25, 2013

My English Addiction

So apparently I am good at creative writing. Who knew??
Taking my English 2020 class at SUU really opened my eyes to the whole institution, and the constant praise from those around me didn't hurt with this epiphany either... So here are some passages that I really liked writing. Enjoy!



Foolishness

Through the window I could see the line,
I’m never old enough to be there.
These people know what they are, know what they want. 
I promised her I would stay inside, 
she doesn’t want me to sing my song, do what I want.

“There is only foolishness out there,” she says.
Sometimes these words create a burning in my head, 
Confusion, anger, guilt, and shame
Swirl around without making sense.
But I sit, watching through the window,
Waiting for my turn. 


Arizona, Camp Verde
The land changes quickly,
Almost every year, water leaves its mark. 

They come in, wash out, muddy and mess up 
What was there.

The kids don’t play on the sidewalks,
There are none. Their mothers yell
To get out of the cars way,
When they should be more afraid of the riverbanks.


Teenagers love the ice cream place, Hal’s,
You know, the one with the horse on top.
Never knew why, but that horse stayed for years 

Until the storms took it down. 




Rocks Caves and Sagebrush
Paul, running around those caves, 
his friends making up games as they went, 
The enemy starship had landed
and the aliens were upon them.
The boys, using thumb and forefinger
for their weapons of choice.


The jagged rocks, open cave faces and sagebrush 

echoed and ricocheted the shouting and gun shots.
Those pesky foreigners, almost beating them. 
The sun gets low, the rest of the aliens can wait.
Exhausted, they run down the hill,
to where mom had fixed them supper. 


Well there are three, but I have many more! I will be posting a couple every time I get on. Let me know what you think! 

Love,
Andie

No comments: