Thursday, July 24, 2008

Chapter 5:)

“Hello Bowen.” I said, quite startled.
“Hi.” He breathed.
I waited for him to say more, but it became apparent that he wasn’t. I looked quickly to Bridgett and back to Bowen.
“So… is there something I can help you with Bowen?” I asked.
He was fidgeting like a hyper child. “I was just wondering if I could ask you a question.” He said it in a rush.
“Okay, shoot.” I smiled.
“Umm… maybe, alone?” He glanced at Bridgett and then looked down.
I glanced pointedly at Bridgett and she sighed and pushed past Bowen with a quick ‘See ya’.
“What can I do for you Bowen?” I asked again.
“Can I ask you a personal question?” He was still looking down.
I was really wishing this wasn’t about Eric but my gut feeling said it was.
“Sure.” I sighed.
“Are you and Eric a… thing now?” he was talking very fast, and I was trying to hide a smile. This brought me some sort of satisfaction, knowing this bothered him.
“I don’t know what you mean.” I said, a little bit too innocently.
“Oh come on Brook, don’t play games with me.” His temper was always on the short side. “You went out today with Eric and I want to know if this means that your boy friend and girl friend.” His face was flushed and he was still looking down.
“Bowen,” I waited for him to look up, “Nothing can be determined till were off this island.” I said seriously. “It was just some innocent fun, we just talked and I still have no idea what he thinks of me. So I cant really speak of what ‘we’ are until I know what he feels. As for me… I don’t know what I feel… not yet.”
He was silent for a moment and then he heaved a sigh.
“Sorry for the questions. I just was going crazy with worry. We still don’t know these people very well and I have no idea what could have happened if he…” his voice trailed off.
“What?” I whispered.
“Did something to you,” He whispered back.
I was speechless. My mind was running wild with questions of my own. Why did he care so much? Why does he worry about me? Who does he think Eric is? Why would he think that Eric would do something like that?
Before I knew what I was doing I asked him one of those questions.
“Why do you care so much about what I do, Bowen?” I asked.
“I… I… don’t know,” he said mutedly.
“That’s not an acceptable answer. I was completely honest with you, now you have to be completely honest with me.” I said severely.
He looked me strait in the eye and faltered a bit.
“Because I care about you Brooklyn. I care about you as much – if not more – as
Eric does.” He made a face to the name. “And I was a bit jealous when he walked away with you today.” He added rapidly.
I couldn’t really say that I was blown away by his confession, but I would qualify as shocked. I had always liked Bowen, always. We had known each other almost my whole life. But he had never shown any interest in me, ever. I had always wanted him to one day come up and ask me out, or something of that nature. But why would right now be the best time to tell me this? Why does it take a plane crash and some one else showing interest in me to tell me that he cared for me? Was that the only reason? Because we were stuck here?
“Oh.” Was all I could think to say.
We were silent then and I was staring at the floor. I couldn’t bring myself to look at him. I could feel his eyes on me though. A minute passed, the awkwardness increasing every second, and he trudged out of my tent.
Damn, I’ll be regretting that later. But as for now, I had Bridgett to worry about. She came running in before thirty seconds had passed and I could tell by the light of her eyes, they were extremely curious. There was only one thing I would have wanted if I were back home. Chocolate, I want some chocolate….

No comments: