Saturday, August 9, 2008

Sunday Talk

Here is my sunday talk that I will be speaking tomorrow. For those who dont get to hear it personally, I'm sorry. In my opinion, its one of my best. Please Enjoy it!



Be Of Good Cheer


Hello brothers and sisters.
Elder Marvin J. Ashton said “I have been strongly impressed to share some thoughts about the Lord’s invitation to “be of good cheer”—yes, to be of good cheer without fear. With world conditions of riots, protests, arms buildups, wars and rumors of war, mistrust, poverty, disappointments, terrorism, tragedies, etc., there has never been a period in history when there is a greater need to accept another of the Lord’s eternal promises.
“Behold, this is the promise of the Lord unto you, O ye my servants.
“Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come.” (D&C 68:5–6.)” 1986 May Ensign.

Of course no one can escape the tragedies that happen to us. No matter how good we are in life, it is just a part of what happens on earth. This means that we can take one of two roads when disaster strikes; Learning from the problem and appreciating what Heavenly father wants us to take from the dilemma, or brooding over it, harboring anger, and blaming everyone else including our Heavenly Father for what has happened.
But the first road isn’t the easiest one to take. In my opinion, its human nature to blame others, find scapegoats and make sure that everyone knows about it. And when we get angry, we don’t take actions that we would normally. And then we blame someone – whoever it may be - for those actions. Or better put by many 6 year olds, “But he made me!”
As Elder Marvin J. Ashton put it “If we can recall the Lord’s promise, “for I the Lord am with you,” we will be able to face our problems with dignity and courage. We will find the strength to be of good cheer instead of becoming resentful, critical, or defeated. We will be able to meet life’s unpleasant happenings with clear vision, strength, and power.”

Another well-spoken way of addressing this is said by Adhemar Damiani, “As part of our mortal probation, we pass through affliction, pain, and disappointment. Only in Jesus Christ can we find peace. He can help us to be of good cheer and to overcome all the challenges of this life. What does it mean to be of good cheer? It means having hope, not getting discouraged, not losing faith, and living life joyfully. “Men are, that they might have joy.” 2 It means facing life with confidence.” Liahona, May 2005.
To me this brings a whole new meaning to what we are taught every church meeting. Read our scriptures daily, pray, and go to church meetings. In these actions we can protect ourselves from the unpleasant problems we face, by filling our hearts and heads with Gods love, spirit and guidance.
Brothers and Sisters I know from experience that I’m happy when I live the gospel. And if we have the gospel in our life then we can follow the admonition of Brother Marley “Don’t worry about a ting. Every little ting is gonna be alright man”
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

4 comments:

Tibbitts Paperbag said...

I wish i could have listen to your talk. I'm sure it was really good!
I loved seeing all the pictures of camp! Camp is pretty great. Some how all the layers of who we try to be come off and the really wonderfull part of who we are gets a chance to just be. I think you are awsome!!!!!!! It would be a blast to be at camp with you.
aunt Kim

Anna said...

WAAAAAAA I SPOKE SUNDAY TOO!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have to speak on the 24th!!!!!!!!we are all cursed!

Andie Bonze said...

Hahha i guess we are lol:)